Saturday, April 15, 2017

Highs and Lows

What a week. Getting ready for vacation has been terrific but the we got the call from Dad Thursday morning that mom had died about 6:30 am. We were certainly not surprised by the news but the timing could not have been worse. Steve and I spent Friday in Kalamazoo with my brother and my Dad offering several options where we could participate in a memorial service, but Dad wasn't familiar or comfortable with a memorial service. The funeral is set for Thursday April 20, at 11 AM, with a hour of visitation before the service. So my choice is to cancel vacation or attend the funeral. Some choice! Mom and Dad have always said don't plan your life around what might happen but live life. So I left my eulogy that I planned on giving with my brother, and Steve and I will be getting on a plane on Sunday.  If funerals really are for the living than I guess Dad needs one and he doesn't need me to be there to support him. And while I certainly would have liked to have a memorial service I don't need a funeral. Bon voyage mama on your journey and to us too.

No comments: